A creamy mushroom wild rice soup may not sound very special, but it is one of the best soups you can make this year. Do not be afraid to make this dish any day of the week, it truly goes well at any time. Whether you want a filling lunch, a quick snack before the evening, or an appetizer with dinner, this is the dish to make.
Try Making This Wild Rice Mushroom Soup for a Treat with Low Effort
The combination of herbs, wine, and creaminess is all you need to make this soup memorable. Plus, wild rice is great at giving the dish crunch and density.
To make this recipe, you will need olive oil, mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, all-purpose flour, dry white wine, vegetable broth, coconut milk, wild rice, dry thyme, salt, and pepper.
You can use some substitutes if needed. Try going for vegetable oil, shallots, turnips, leeks, garlic powder, almond flour, whole wheat flour, dry rose wine, white wine vinegar, apple cider, mushroom broth, chicken broth, half and half, cream, rice, short egg noodles, oregano, or dill.
The beauty of this dish is that it is full of nutrients. On one hand, it is free of dairy, so it is safe to consume if you are vegan. By using coconut milk, you are adding omega fatty acids to the meal as well.
The mushrooms, carrots, onions, and celery also provide a wide range of nutrients. On one hand, you will have a ton of fiber, which can help lower blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels. You will also obtain probiotics that help keep your gut healthy.
In terms of vitamins and minerals, you will obtain vitamin A, vitamin D, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, and B vitamins. Plus, you will also get a whole lot of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. These all help keep your cells healthy and prevent oxidative damage that leads to disease.
For extra protein, try adding chicken, turkey, or shrimp. To keep things vegetarian, add tofu or chickpeas for a little boost in protein.
Serve your soup warm with fresh parsley on top!
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
8 oz (227 g) mixed fresh mushrooms
4 cups (946 ml) vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups (355 ml) full fat coconut milk
1 cup (237 ml) dry white wine
1 cup (128 g) wild rice
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp dried thyme
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with 2 tbsp of olive oil and place it over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Stir until light brown.
- Transfer mushrooms to a plate.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the pot.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in flour to coat them and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add wine and put the fried mushrooms back in the pot.
- Lower heat and simmer mixture until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add broth, coconut milk, rice, and thyme, boil and simmer until rice is tender.
- Stir occasionally, add some water if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking to try another tasty mushroom recipe? Check out this delicious Tuscan Tortellini Mushroom Soup!