This chicken mushroom thyme sauce is tasty, filling, and super easy to prepare. You can make this meal any time and only need a few ingredients. Best of all, you can make large amounts and save the rest for later!
This Chicken with a Mushroom Thyme Sauce Is To-Die-For!
To prepare this recipe, you will need all-purpose flour, thyme, allspice, chicken breasts, butter, mushrooms, onions, whipping cream, and canned low-sodium chicken broth.
You can always change some things if needed. Try using whole-wheat flour, cornstarch, oregano, basil, cumin, chicken cutlets, turkey breasts, pork chops, olive oil, red onions, half and half, coconut milk, and vegetable stock.
When you are ready to start cooking, begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. In the meantime, you will want to mix the spices with the flour. Once your chicken is seasoned, you can pass it through the flour. This step is essential in allowing your chicken to then retain all the flavors and brown better.
Cook your chicken in the butter over medium heat. Be careful, as the roux that forms can get hot quickly. Set your chicken aside, and use the same pan with the butter to cook the vegetables. Your mushrooms should soften and brown too.
Finish off by adding the cream and broth, and then return the chicken to the pan. You can serve your chicken with a mushroom thyme sauce with egg noodles, rice, or potatoes.
If you are looking to make things easier, you can swap the whipping cream and broth with canned cream of mushroom soup. You may also want to reduce the salt you use since canned soup and broth have extra sodium.
You can make a big batch of this recipe using a larger pot or stockpot. Save it in the fridge for a couple of days. You can also save the sauce in the freezer and cook the chicken separately when ready to eat.
Chicken with a Mushroom Thyme Sauce
4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 lb (454 g) mushroom, sliced
1 cup (237 ml) low sodium chicken broth
1 cup (237 ml) whipping cream
1/3 cup (43 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (32 g) butter
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 small onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 tsp thyme, and the allspice. Reserve 1 tsp of thyme aside.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Dust them with flour mix.
- Heat butter in a pan over medium heat, then cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side.
- Drain the chicken and set aside.
- Mix the mushrooms, onion, and the remaining 1 tsp thyme in the same pan.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add in 1 tbsp of flour mix and stir for 1 minute.
- Mix in the broth with cream and bring it to boil.
- Add the chicken breasts back into the pan and cook for 6 minutes.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Looking to try another tasty and nutritious mushroom dish? Check out this Chicken Piccata with Mushroom recipe!