Fried chicken with shiitake mushroom sauce is an iconic comfort dish. All you need is a handful of ingredients. You can then have a nicely-seasoned meal in just 30 minutes.
Let’s discuss some of the nutritional value and health benefits of this mouthwatering recipe.
Chicken with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce Boosts Health
Reason #1: Good sources of protein
Both chicken thighs and breasts, when skinless, are good sources of lean protein. This contributes to the growth and development of our muscles.
In addition, shiitake mushrooms contain a protein content called Lentin. It has antifungal properties which prevent leukemia.
Reason #2: Good sources of iron
If you don’t want to eat red meat, chicken is also a good alternative source of iron.
As you know, iron’s chief function in the body is to boost hemoglobin production. It helps transport oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body.
Hence, it is good to partner with shiitake mushroom that contains vitamin C, which supports iron metabolism.
Reason #3: Boosts brain function
Creatine found in chicken improves memory and intelligence.
Also, shiitake is the vegan source of choline. This helps in the production of neurotransmitters. It is used by our brain to transmit signals and information.
Reason #4: Serves as an antidepressant
Chicken contains tryptophan. It is an amino acid that increases the serotonin level of the body.
In other words, this is a brain chemical that controls our mood. It also helps in regulating sleep.
Shiitake mushroom also contains Vitamin D2. This is used in treating Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is a mood disorder that’s related to seasonal changes.
For all of the reasons above, you should definitely try this fried chicken with shiitake mushroom sauce.
Looking for a special recipe to serve your family on your regular night out? Or you’re looking for something to serve your friends on your get-togethers? This recipe will surely impress everyone.
Chicken with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce
2 lbs (900 g) boneless chicken thighs or breasts (skinless)
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cups (256 g) shiitake mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth
1 cup (128 g) heavy cream
3 oz (75 g) cream cheese (softened)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper (ground)
2 tbsp flour
- Set the stove to medium heat. Place skillet (frying pan).
- Pour in olive oil and let it get warm. Saute (fry) the chicken breasts or thighs until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side. Set aside.
- While still warm, toss the minced garlic onto the skillet (frying pan) and cook until golden brown.
- Add in the mushrooms. Stir until the mushroom slices are tender. Set aside on a plate.
- Now, add the heavy cream, chicken broth, garlic powder and cream cheese into the skillet (frying pan). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until smooth. Add in the flour. Cook it altogether until the sauce thickens.
- Add the mushroom and garlic mixture to the sauce. Stir.
- When the mushroom sauce is ready, add in the chicken. Heat for just a few minutes.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!