This Quinoa and Shiitake Green Salad is not your typical choice of salad. It is a mixture of quinoa, shiitake, shallot, spinach and avocado enriched with a perfect chemical-free dressing.
You will have a lot of reasons to try this, not only because it’s a bowl full of flavor, but because it offers lots of nutritional benefits.
Health Benefits of Shiitake and Quinoa Salad Ingredients
Ingredient #1: QUINOA
Quinoa is a good source of protein and lysine, which are necessary to build and repair tissues in our body. Because it is rich in fiber, quinoa aids in avoiding constipation.
It promotes heart health by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes. If you’re maintaining or losing weight, quinoa is the right choice.
Since eating this will make you feel full and more satisfied for a longer time, it will help in reducing your overall intake of food.
Ingredient #2: SHIITAKE
Shiitake mushrooms contain high nutrients. These include B vitamins, vitamin D, selenium, niacin, and 7 of the 8 essential amino acids which boost our immune system.
The phytonutrients of Shiitake help to prevent high blood pressure and improve blood circulation.
It is also safe for cancer survivors as it has Lentinan, a polysaccharide that is used in conjunction with chemotherapy for cancer patients.
Ingredient #3: SHALLOT
Shallot is a good source of protein and fiber. It has numerous micronutrients.
Some of these are iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, copper and folate.
Shallot is also a potential anticancer agent since it contains allicin which inhibits tumor growth.
Ingredient #4: SPINACH
Spinach contains Vitamin K which is important in controlling blood clotting and preventing blood loss during injury.
It also contains lutein, beta-carotene, and xanthene which are beneficial for healthy eyesight.
Ingredient #5: AVOCADO
Adding avocado will give your salad a wonderfully rich texture. It is very high in potassium, which may support healthy blood pressure levels.
Because of the benefits of each of the ingredients, you will definitely love eating this quinoa and shiitake green salad.
Its mixture makes it a beautiful salad and the taste is definitely a perfect art form. You can easily prepare this for your meals at home or as wholesome-packed lunches for you and your family.
Discover more Shiitake mushroom recipes here:
Shiitake and Quinoa Salad
1/2 cup (64 g) quinoa (uncooked)
1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth
1 tbsp rice bran oil
4 shiitake mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
1 small shallot (thinly sliced)
2 cups (256 g) spinach
1 small avocado (sliced)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- For the dressing:
3 tsp chopped onion
3 tsp shallot oil
1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1 tbsp green onions, thinly sliced (to garnish)
- Take the quinoa and rinse well. Drain excess moisture.
- Set the stove to medium heat for your non-stick pot.
- Roast quinoa for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes, then drain.
- Place a separate pan over medium heat. Pour in the rice bran oil and let warm.
- Toss the mushroom. Cook until the slices are crispy and golden brown. Turn off the stove. Drain the excess moisture by placing the slices onto a paper towel.
- While still hot, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add the remaining oil into it over medium heat. Add the shallots and stir for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove moisture by placing the shallots onto a paper towel. Set aside to cool.
- Using the same pan, cook the spinach over medium heat. Stir until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl. Pour the dressing over the quinoa. Coat well.
- Scoop the quinoa into a bowl. Top it with the mushroom, spinach and sliced avocado.
- Put in the shallots and green onions to garnish.