There is an easy Chinese mushroom chicken recipe that you can do in minutes. That sounds delightful! If you are a fan of Panda Express and other Chinese chains, then this dish will put those to shame. One of the fan favorites in these restaurants is the mushroom chicken, so why not try it at home?
A Chinese Mushroom Chicken Recipe For All Foodies!
Why mushroom chicken?
The truth is, mushroom chicken is a traditional Chinese dish, so it makes sense that you have seen it in many places. Traditionally, the chicken is on the bone and with the skin still attached, then chopped into bite-sized pieces, and braised in soy sauce along with shiitake mushrooms.
If you want to make things easier and faster, then you want to try a copycat version of the Panda Express favorite. One key part of this dish is that you prepare a good marinade, so using soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and cornstarch is best. However, you can try liquid aminos, dry sherry wine, and flour instead.
For the stir-fry, consider starting with peanut or sesame oil, bamboo shoots, garlic, ginger, and onions. Of course, you will also want to think about the mushrooms! Some good options include white button, baby Portobello, shiitake, or maitake, but truly any kind you want works.
In the case of the sauce, some good ingredients to consider are oyster sauce, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, chicken stock, sugar, and more cornstarch. However, you can always think of replacements if you need them, such as fish sauce, dry sherry, mushroom or beef stock, honey, and more flour!
All that is left is to start cooking! You will find that the result is a thick, saucy, and delicious mushroom and chicken combination that will put all other fast food or fancy restaurants’ version to shame compared to this. Enjoy with some white rice or rice noodles!
Chinese Mushroom Chicken
10 oz (300 g) boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast, sliced into 5 mm thickness
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/3 cup (80 ml) chicken stock
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
- Stir Fry
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 lbs (225 g) mushroom (Portobello or white)
1 cup (128 g) sliced bamboo shoots, drained
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ginger, minced
2 green onions, chopped
- Using a big bowl, mix the chicken and the marinade ingredients.
- Stir well. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, Mix all sauce ingredients. Stir well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread chicken in the skillet in a single layer.
- Sear until bottom is golden.
- Stir and flip to cook the other side.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and the mushrooms.
- Stir and cook until mushrooms are cooked through and the liquid has evaporated.
- Add bamboo shoots, garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add a bit more oil if the pan looks dry.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir the sauce again to make sure the cornstarch is thoroughly dissolved then pour into the pan.
- Stir until the sauce thickens
- Add chicken back to the skillet.
- Stir to coat the chicken well with sauce
- Transfer to a big plate.
- Serve and enjoy!