To prepare these Swiss-style morels, you will need to think of the dish as essentially having three parts. This dish is incredibly decadent and tasty, but also versatile, which makes it suitable for any meal of the day.
Try This One Of A Kind Recipe For Swiss-Style Morels
First part: The Rosti
A rosti is a very Swiss dish that consists of potatoes in the style of a fritter. While it was originally a breakfast item, it can now be part of any meal. To make this dish, you will need morels, potatoes, bacon, onions, salt, pepper, and parsley. You can also use other foods, such as sweet potatoes, ham, scallions, and cilantro.
To prepare the rosti, add the bacon, morels, and onions to butter. Once covered, add the potatoes and herbs, and mix well. Spread the mixture like a pancake and cook until it is brown.
Second part: The Schnitzel
A schnitzel is a thin slice of meat that is breaded and fried. This dish is Swiss, but also German and Viennese use this type of meat. To make this part of the dish, you will need pork cutlets, breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You could use other meat if wanted, such as veal or chicken.
The key to schnitzel is pounding the meat beforehand. Season your meat and bread with eggs and breadcrumbs. Heat some oil and fry!
Third part: The Gravy
Think of the gravy as the cohesive portion bringing everything together. You will need morels, onions, dry wine, tomato paste, water, thyme, salt, sour cream, and paprika. You can always substitute these ingredients with others, like chives, sherry, tomato sauce, oregano, cream, and cumin.
You can prepare your gravy while your schnitzel is frying, by sautéing the onions with the tomato paste and mushrooms over low heat. Add the water, wine, and seasoning, simmering for a few more minutes. Finish off with the sour cream.
Combine everything together for a decadent and unique meal!
- Ingredients for Rosti
5- 10 pcs morels, chopped
2 lbs (900 g) potatoes, grated
4 oz (100 g) bacon (lardon), diced
1/2 cup (64 g) chopped onions
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp parsley
- Ingredients for Gravy
8 oz (200 g) morels, sliced
8 oz (200 g) onions, chopped
1 cup (240 ml) dry wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup (240 ml) water
1 dash thyme
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp paprika
- Ingredients for Jagerschnitzel
2 lbs (900 g) pork cutlets, pounded to about 1/2 inch
1 1/2 cups (192 g) bread crumbs, dried
3 tbsp olive oil
- Directions for Rosti
- Sweat the bacons, onions, and morel mushrooms in the butter.
- Add in grated potatoes and a portion of the chives and parsley. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture onto a lightly oiled pan. Cook each side until brown.
- Add the remaining parsley and chives.
- Directions for Jagerschnitzel
- Pound cutlets, then rub in salt and pepper. Leave for about 10 minutes.
- Dip cutlets into egg then into bread crumbs.
- Cook in a lightly oiled pan over low heat until brown. About 10 minutes on each side.
- Directions for Gravy
- Saute the onions and bacon until golden brown.
- Add in the tomato paste and the mushrooms.
- Saute the mixture over low heat.
- Add in wine, water and the seasonings.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sour cream. Stir well.
- Pour gravy on top of the Jagerschnitzel.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The Rosti can be served with a bratwurst or on its own.
Looking to try another tasty mushroom dish? Why not give this Chicken of the Woods Tart a go?