Asparagus with morels is more than just a side dish; it can be the star of your dinner at any time. You only need a few ingredients and you will be ready to create a very tasty meal.
Asparagus with Morels Sounds About Right For Tonight
Let’s get started!
First, you’ll want to gather the morels. These mushrooms are meaty and nutty, but they have a buttery texture, which makes them great for any dish. If you prefer it, though, try maitake mushrooms instead. Maitake is more woodsy, earthy, and somewhat spicy, but they are also easy to prepare.
If none of these are available, you can try some of the more popular mushrooms, like shiitake, oyster, white button, or porcini. Mushrooms are extremely nutritious. but also very versatile.
As for the asparagus, this vegetable is fibrous and crunchy, but it takes some time to cook. You should allow enough time for this vegetable to cook through, soften, and become easier to chew. The flavor will also be better the more you allow asparagus to cook.
You can use other vegetables too, such as zucchini, broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, or leeks. All of these mix very well with mushrooms and can make for a decadent pairing.
All you have left is the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Still, you can use other spices for added flavor, like red pepper flakes, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
While a gribiche dressing is recommended, you don’t need to make one, or buy one if you don’t want to. Other dressing ideas to use include balsamic, honey mustard, or Italian. You can skip the dressing altogether and go for something different, such as a garlic aioli, or butter sauce.
Serve this warm for a tasty side dish, but you can pair it with a steak or grilled chicken, or even some lightly battered tofu.
Asparagus with Morels
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 lb (450 g) asparagus, trimmed
freshly ground pepper
1 pint morel or maitake mushrooms
- Using a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook asparagus for about 4 minutes. Turn occasionally, until all sides are lightly browned and crisp-tender.
- Then, arrange asparagus on a platter using tongs.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Cook morels. Toss every now and then for about 5 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- Season the morels with salt and pepper. Spoon over asparagus.
- Then, spoon dressing over the asparagus with morels to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!