This baked polenta with mushroom is the perfect easy dish to whip out at the last minute. You can enjoy it for a vegetarian meal, as a side dish, or as an appetizer. In some cases, you can even begin preparing this dish ahead of time and save it for later. Within seconds, you will have a full meal that goes well with everything.
To make this dish, you will need instant polenta, milk, butter, cheese, Parmesan, olive oil, mushrooms, lemon juice, kale, and garlic.
This Baked Polenta with Mushroom Will Wow Everyone at Home!
You can always use other substitutes if needed. Go with things like regular polenta, half and half, cream, vegetable oil, cheddar cheese, Asiago cheese, Italian mix cheese, lime juice, spinach, arugula, and garlic powder.
The polenta should come with instructions, but for the most part, preparing it is very easy. It will probably be ready within minutes. Once you are done, you can begin the baking process.
All you have to do is place the milk, along with three cups of water, and butter in a baking dish. Add as many herbs or spices as you want, including oregano, cumin, paprika, thyme, or parsley.
For best results, we suggest you cook the mushrooms in oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat. This process should take about 4 minutes, but you can check for the mushrooms to be tender and flavorful. Stir in the lemon juice, and any other herbs or spices you want to use as well.
Spoon the mushrooms over polenta, along with the kale and Parmesan. You can also drizzle some olive oil on top for more flavor.
This dish is best served warm and can be a good vegetarian meal idea for when you want a quick lunch. Otherwise, serve it as a side dish to go with other things like chicken, turkey, fish, or pork.
Baked Polenta with Mushroom
3 cups (710 ml) milk
3 cups (710 ml) water
1 1/4 cup (300 g) mixed mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 cup (128 g) instant polenta
2/3 cup (150 g) cheese taleggio, rind removed, cut into cubes
2/3 cup (150 g) baby kale
1/2 cup (64 g) butter, cubed
1/2 cup (64 g) parmesan, grated plus extra to serve
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 392 F (200 C).
- In a greased ovenproof dish, mix polenta, milk, 3 cups water, and 40 g of butter.
- Add salt to season and stir with fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven, add in melted butter, taleggio, and parmesan.
- Bake for another 20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil and the remaining butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook them while stirring regularly for 4 minutes until tender.
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Spoon mushrooms over polenta and spinkle with kale and extra parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking to try another tasty and nutritious mushroom dish? Check out this Chicken with a Mushroom Thyme Sauce recipe!