To prepare this rigatoni with mushroom sauce, you only need a few minutes, and the end product is worth much more. You can enjoy this vegetarian dish as is, or add more vegetables, meat, or herbs to make the meal more filling. Still, the meal is great as is and does not require much to be a complete dish that everyone will love.
Start with getting your ingredients together. You will need rigatoni pasta, olive oil, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, mushrooms, white wine, vegetable stock, mascarpone cheese, grated Parmesan, and chives.
This Rigatoni with Mushroom Sauce Will Satisfy Anyone Any Day
You can substitute some of these ingredients too. Try using ziti pasta, penne pasta, butter, red onion, yellow onion, garlic powder, dry vermouth, white wine vinegar, apple juice, chicken stock, cream cheese, cream, sour cream, Asiago cheese, or Romano cheese.
The first thing you should do is cook the pasta according to box instructions. Try to make sure it is al dente, meaning it is tender but still firm when you bite. When it is ready, drain it, but reserve about one cup of the cooking water for later.
In the meantime, cook the shallots with garlic, salt, and pepper. You should also add mushrooms so they can soften and become tender. This part is essential because it can release all the flavors and aromas that your mushrooms should have. Be careful not to let them brown excessively.
Once the mushrooms are ready, add the stock and continue cooking. You should then be able to add the mascarpone cheese but continue to stir to make the sauce creamy. Add the mixture to your pasta along with the Parmesan cheese.
The reserved water does not need to go into your dish unless you feel it needs to loosen up the pasta and make your sauce a little more liquid.
Serve your pasta warm and garnish with the chives. Enjoy with a piece of garlic bread too!
Rigatoni with Mushroom Sauce
1 lb (454 g) assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 lb (454 g) rigatoni pasta
1 cup (128 g) mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup (64 g) white wine
1/2 cup (64 g) vegetable stock
1/2 cup (64 g) parmesan, grated
1/4 cup (32 g) chopped fresh chives
2 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
ground black pepper
- Boil salted water in a large pot over high heat.
- Cook pasta for 10 minutes, stir occasionally until tender.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook shallots and garlic for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add in mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally for about 7 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and tender.
- Add wine and cook for another 3 minutes over high heat until the liquid evaporates.
- Put stock and simmer until liquid is reduced,
- Remove pan from heat and add mascarpone cheese. Stir until creamy.
- Get a cup of pasta water from the cooked pasta and drain the remaining water.
- In a serving bowl, put the pasta water, add mushroom mixture and parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, adjust if needed.
- Toss well to coat pasta.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking to try another delicious mushroom recipe? Check out this tasty Chicken Cremini with Avocado recipe.