Having a handy vegan-stuffed portobello mushroom recipe has proven to be super helpful time and again. Why not try this at home for a yummy, filling, and healthy meal?
Make This Filling Vegan-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe Today!
Vegan can also mean satisfying and earth-conscious!
Portobello mushrooms are a Godsend when it comes to vegan and vegetarian dishes, especially because they are versatile, big, and can mold into many things. You can use other mushrooms, though, such as cremini or shiitake. Before you start cooking, make sure to clean your Portobello with a damp paper towel and remove any imperfections.
In terms of the filling, you will need spinach, onions, vegan feta cheese, roasted red peppers, breadcrumbs, oregano, and dill. To season things, you will want to use olive oil, fresh parsley, and salt and pepper.
To make things easier, consider using canned or jarred red peppers, which are flavorful, and save you time. You can switch the onions for chives or fennel. You can also use other types of vegan cheese that you like, such as mozzarella or Swiss. As for the breadcrumbs, panko is always a good idea, but if you can’t find any, try using broken crackers, or old bread.
When it comes to seasoning, you can use anything you like! Some good herbs are Italian parsley, basil, or oregano. You can also spice things up by adding red pepper flakes, or a bit of Aleppo pepper.
Finally, if you feel like adding more things, why not go for some black olives and capers? You can even serve these vegan-stuffed mushrooms with some vegan tzatziki, hummus, or a touch of balsamic vinegar.
Surprise your family and friends with this vegan stuffed Portobello mushroom recipe that is both easy and flavorful. Plant-based doesn’t have to mean boring and light!
Vegan-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
4 large portobello mushroom caps
1 cup (128 g) bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic
4 oz (100 g) baby spinach
1 small onion
1/4 cup (32 g) roasted red peppers (jarred type), diced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried dill
olive oil spray
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup (64 g) crumbled vegan feta cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Prepare mushrooms by cleaning them with a damp paper towel. Remove stem and gills with a spoon.
- Spray olive oil on both sides of mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on a baking sheet, stem-side up.
- Heat oil on a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened. About 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, roasted red peppers, oregano, parsley, and dill. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix in the breadcrumbs and feta cheese (optional). Cook for 2 more minutes then remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps.
- Bake until mushrooms are soft and slightly browned. About 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can’t get enough of vegetarian portobello mushroom dishes? Check this awesome Portobello Quinoa Vegetarian Burger!